AUDITION INFORMATION FOR INCOMING STUDENTS:
All incoming students not wishing to audition for our top orchestra (Sinfonia) may submit a video audition. If you are auditioning for Sinfonia, or if you prefer a live audition, please contact me 2-3 weeks prior to the start of school to set up an audition time.
- Requirements to audition for Sinfonia: The student must have made Region Orchestra at any point during middle school, or be in the top orchestra of the Houston Youth Symphony. I will also request a recommendation from the student’s orchestra director.
Students should prepare a scale (2-3 octaves is preferable) and a solo of their choice. If they do not have a solo, they may use an orchestra piece they have been working on.
- Strings: If the solo is longer than 3 pages, only play the first 3 pages. If less than 3 pages, play the entire solo. Skip multi-measures of rests. Students auditioning for Sinfonia will also be asked to sight-read.
- Piano: If the solo is longer than 6 pages, only play the first 6 pages. If less than 6 pages, play the entire solo.
Violin/Viola: The video must show the student’s upper body from the front so I may assess posture/fingerings/bowings.
Cello/Bass: The video must show the student’s entire body from the front so I may assess posture/fingerings/bowing.
Piano: The video must show the student’s upper body and hands so I may assess posture and finger dexterity.
Student Information Form:
CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT THE STUDENT INFORMATION FORM
Please rename your files with the student’s name and the name of the scale or solo.
Example: Smith_John_D Major Scale
Email your files to: email@example.com
- If your file is too large to email, please share it via google drive or something similar.
- If you do not receive a response from me within 48 hours of your submission, please email me.